2024 Hear For You NSW RMW Workshop – Treetop Adventures (The Hills)12-18yrs
July 8 @ 1:00 pm - 4:00 pm
Hear For You is a place like no other – it’s a place where young deaf or hard of hearing teenagers can hang out amongst other peers, have lots of fun and make lots of friends. Our mentors understand and remember well the challenges that a young deaf or hard of hearing teenager can experience.
Our sessions bring together groups of teenagers to realise that deafness is more of a “difference” than a disadvantage. We show you that they are not alone, to inspire them, and to share hints and tips on how to deal with all the obstacles that come with deafness.
We want to give you the opportunity to share your experiences with someone in the same boat, particularly when it feels like no one else understands.
We are here to help you get the best out of being deaf, to realise their dreams and live life to the full and that’s why we’re Hear For You!
Hear For You has a COVID safe practice policy and procedure for this workshop. This will be strictly enforced for the safety of all participants, mentors, staff, and families.
Please note that by registering for this workshop, this constitutes your acceptance of a Service Agreement between yourself and Hear For You.
ROCK MY WORLD WORKSHOP – T REETOPS ADVENTURE PARK
Ever wondered what it’s like to be high in the trees navigating a rope course? Want to conquer your fear of heights and prove something to yourself? Ever dreamt of taking a thrilling flying fox ride down from the tall trees in the forest while yelling your head off??
Then this is for you!!
It will be a fantastic day out with our mentors and to possibly meet some new deaf/hard of hearing teenagers!
12-18 years High School students to meet at 1:00 pm for the 1:30AM (4:00 PM for pick up time)
Check out below what Treetops have to say about their park:
“Come and experience the iconic Australian bush like never before. Get up-close and personal with native Australian wildlife and magnificent Gum trees, as you climb, weave and fly through the tree tops on self-guided rope courses. Flex your adventurous spirit and test yourself mentally and physically with over 100 elevated obstacles with rope ladders, wobbly bridges, tunnels, cargo-nets and zip lines.”
Please read the below information from Treetops Adventure regarding what to do/bring on the day:
• There are no special skills or prior knowledge required, just bring along a sense of adventure and we will provide all the training and safety equipment you need to be an expert tree climber.
• Participants must wear fully enclosed shoes (sporting shoes are recommended); no exposed skin from the ankle down (skin must be covered by shoes not socks). For example, participants will not be allowed to undertake the Activities in sandals, Mary-Jane’s, thongs, ballet flats, slip-off, toed shoes etc…
• If you want extra grip, bring gloves or purchase a pair from the office. It can take approx. three hours to fully complete the adult/junior courses and up to two hours for the child courses.
• Make sure you pack water, wear comfortable clothes, fully enclosed shoes, tie back long hair, remove jewellery and apply sunscreen and insect repellent.
• We are open in all weather conditions (except lightning and extreme high winds). For your enjoyment of the courses, we only allow an allocated amount of people on the course at once, so it is highly recommended that you make a booking to avoid disappointment.
• Please arrive at the park with plenty of time, ready to start your session at the booked time. We recommend arriving at least 15 minutes prior (at least 30 minutes Sydney – The Hills and Western Sydney) to your booked time to allow for finding a car park, completing waiver forms, removing all jewellery, storing any remaining valuables in your car, all participants having used the bathroom, applying sunscreen/insect repellent, handing keys to office staff etc.
• During school holidays, public holidays and weekends more time may be required as all parks get particularly busy. If you miss the start of your session, you may not be able to participate as the equipment you wear on the course is reserved for you. If you are late this impacts on other participants. No refunds or part-refunds will be made if you are late and it is not possible to accommodate you.
• For safety reasons you can’t carry anything with you on the courses and there are no lockers on site, so leave all your valuables at home and leave your keys at the TreeTops office. Once you are in your safety harness absolutely nothing is allowed in your pockets or hands, this includes jewellery, phones, wallets, keys and cameras.
For more information, go here
Can I use my current NDIS funding to cover Hear For You?
Yes this is possible. During registration for the NDIS ticket, please fill out the required information so we know if you are:
- NDIA Managed i.e. they pay all providers on your behalf
- Self-Managed i.e. the NDIA will give you the funds so you can pay your providers directly
- Third Provider-Managed i.e. a Plan Manager who will pay your providers on your behalf
You will need to give us your NDIS number and the number of hours or funding amount that you have secured with your NDIA planner.
Which Support Purpose will funding need to be allocated in for use with Hear For You events?
Funding needs to be allocated under the Support Purpose of ‘Capacity Building’.
I am currently planning to register on the NDIS, what information do I need to present to the NDIA planner?
Please go to http://hearforyou.com.au/program/ndis/ for all the required information
What if I am not on the NDIS/I am not eligible for the NDIS and I would to love to attend, what do I do?
Please select the Non-NDIS registration ticket. If you are unable to afford the cost, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 1800 432 749 (1800 HEAR 4Y) and we will be in touch to discuss.
Are there ID requirements or an age limit to enter the event?
If you are a deaf/hard of hearing high school teenager who communicates via speaking, this event is perfect for you!
What are my transport/parking options getting to the event?
Drive along the M2 motorway. Take the Pennant Hills Rd exit and follow Castle Hill direction. Travel 2km, and then turn left onto Castle Hill Rd. Once you enter the gates of Cumberland State Forest follow the signs that will direct you to the TreeTops reception. Please note, climbers are required to check in at TreeTops Reception prior to accessing the courses.
Free TreeTops car park available on site, an approx 5 minute walk from TreeTops reception. In the event that this is full, follow the signs to additional parking. Park in bays only. Disabled car park and toilets available. Please allow enough time for your adventure.
B y public transport
P lan your trip through here
What can/can’t I bring to the event?
You don’t have to bring anything. Or maybe just a smile?
Bring a water bottle
Where can I contact the organiser with any questions?
Feel free to email email@example.com with any questions at any time
Can I update my registration information?
Yes, just send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org
Do I have to bring my printed ticket to the event?
Only if you want to 🙂
A s of 1st January 2023, we will no longer be covering costs of interpreters. These costs will need to be covered by funds in your NDIS plan.
W e are happy to help with the booking but will not be paying for the costs.
Providing accessible programs and workshops for all our participants is incredibly important to us at Hear For You and The Shepherd Centre. It is a key area of advocacy for us with Governments and the NDIS. We know making sure the NDIS understands the need for interpreting services is critical through claiming these services in participant plans. When these funds are covered philanthropically through organizations, there is no awareness of the need or funding requirements., nor is it sustainable for organizations to cover these costs through fundraising.
If you need help with liaising with the NDIA to secure this funding in your NDIS plan, please contact us at email@example.com
Please be advised that by providing us with your child’s details, you agree and give consent to your child to join in Hear For You’s programs/workshops. Hear For You will keep and maintain your details and your child’s details in our database. We, Hear For You, will not share your/your child’s details with other organisations.