If you’ve heard of the NDIS and the NDIA recently, you might be wondering what the difference is. Simply, the National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS) provides support for Australians with disability, their families and carers. The National disability Insurance Agency (NDIA) is the independent Commonwealth Government agency responsible for implementing the NDIS.
Hear For You is a fully NDIS accredited provider, which means that if your teen is eligible for NDIS funding, then you may be able to use it to access our programs.
We have a handy tool to help you put together a strong NDIS application – which we can share with you once your teen is enrolled.
What Do Hear For You Workshops Cover?
Hear For You is a community created to support and mentor deaf teens who are living in a hearing world. All of our mentors are successful young adults who are deaf of hard of hearing themselves.
Our workshops are focused on:
- Setting teens up for the future
- Inspiring teens to think about what they really want out of life
- Opening teens eyes to what’s possible.
Workshop participants tell us they enjoy:
- having mentors who understand the challenges they face
- hanging out with other participants who ‘get it’.
Our Life Skills & Goals development workshops can play a large role in helping teens achieve their goals.
Here are some of the life skills and goals we cover:
- The best way to communicate in a hearing world
- Confidence, and how to build more of it
- Challenges that come with studying (and school in general)
- Tuning into your teens mental health
- Dealing with stigma, ignorance and bullying
- Career options and making plans post-school
- Relationships with family and friends
- Dealing with devices and technology.
As well as life skills and goals, we also offer programs covering:
- Rock My World – short workshops to get teens together and have fun
- Filmmaking and Editing workshops (leading to a national film festival with deaf teens from all around Australia)
- Primary2Secondary – transitioning programs for teens heading into high school
- Community Outreach
Check our full program overview to see the programs we offer.
Where Are the Workshops Held?
We have workshops in:
including regional areas. We’re growing fast, so check to see if we’re in an area near you.
NDIS – Frequently Asked Questions
We answer the most commonly asked questions here.
If you have any further questions, contact our team.
Note: Even if your teen is not with the NDIS, they are still welcome to take part on our workshops. Speak to us about possible sponsored places.