This is our flagship mentoring program, which focuses on bringing together deaf and hard of hearing teenagers with inspiring mentors who have ‘been there, done that’. Together we explore different aspects of life, giving you then chance to exchange ideas and experiences with people who will actually understand. Our mentors have loads of life experience to share, which may just help clarify things in your own life.
Program duration: Four full days (one Saturday or Sunday per month for four months)
Location: Sydney, Melbourne and Brisbane (all in central locations)
NDIS hours: 30
Perfect for: High school students who are deaf or hard of hearing, with oral communication
Upcoming dates: View the calendar
How it works: Every teenager gets placed into a year group (7&8, 9&10 and 11&12), and assigned two mentors (one male, one female). This means at most, there’s one mentor per 4 students. There’s plenty of discussion and practical activities, which are done as a group, in pairs and one-on-one with a mentor.
Throughout the program, each group explores a range of different areas, including:
- Communication & conflict resolution
- School subject & career choices
- Casual work
- Teamwork & leadership
- Technology & social media safety
- Personal identity
NDIS funded amount – $1,767.60 (30 hours)
Non-NDIS funded – $100 to secure place then HFY will work to secure funding to cover cost for teenager to attend.
Acutal costs to host the workshop $1,800 each teenager.
- Personal payment upfront
- Through your NDIS plan/funding (find more info about this here)
- If you’re experiencing financial hardship, you can apply to be part of our Community Fundraising Program, where we will work with you to fundraise through your local community clubs (RSLs, Rotary, Lions, Apex, etc.) To find out more about this option, just email us.
- This program is designed to take place over four sessions so participants have a chance to bond with mentors, and we can cover a wide range of topics. This means unfortunately you can’t attend just one session.
- Two parent sessions are held as part of the program, which parents, siblings and friends are allowed to attend free of charge. This can be a great way to strengthen the participant’s existing network,
Enquiries: Email firstname.lastname@example.org